- This event has passed.
Hull Film Festival: LETO
06/07/2019 @ 6:00 pm - 8:10 pm£6 – £8
At Vue Cinema Hull: BUY TICKETS
The film delivers a snapshot of Leningrad over the summer of 1981, when the underground rock scene started blossoming, and charts the coming of age and rise to fame of young rock singers, including Viktor Tsoi, who turned out to become a pioneer of Russian rock. ‘LETO contains a sequence of flashing lights which might affect customers who are susceptible to photosensitive epilepsy.’
Avant-garde Russian filmmaker Kirill Serebrennikov (The Student) returns to the big-screen with a tribute to the early years of Russian rock. Leningrad, in the summer, early eighties. Smuggling LP’s by Lou Reed and David Bowie, the underground rock scene is boiling ahead of the Perestroika. Mike and his beautiful wife Natasha meet with young Viktor Tsoï. Together with friends, they will change the trajectory of rock n’roll music in the Soviet Union. ‘LETO contains a sequence of flashing lights which might affect customers who are susceptible to photosensitive epilepsy.’
Starring Teo Yoo, Irina Starshenbaum, Roman Bilyk
Awards and Reviews
“A marvelous biopic that is as energetic as a T-Rex song and as pompous as a Lou Reed song.” – Víctor López G., Espinof
“While the movie finds its setting in a particular moment in Leningrad, it also feels very universal — a movie about being young and disaffected and passionate and in love, and watching all that change as you grow older. – Alissa Wilkinson, Vox
LETO is rated 15. Check the BBFC website for more information (may contain spoilers).
Tickets Terms and Conditions
• All films run without adverts and trailers and will be preceded by a short introduction from the festival team.
• The screening room opens 10-15 minutes before the programme begins, although the venue is open earlier.
• Hull Film Festival reserves the right to refuse admission to audience members arriving after the advertised start time.
• Tickets are unreserved seating – seat choice is first come, first served, upon doors opening, access to the VIP leather seating will be prioritised for Full Festival Passholders, which can be purchased here
• Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
• Advance tickets can only be purchased by phone or online, not in person.
• Tickets can be bought from the Hull Film Festival stand at Vue Cinema Hull 30 minutes prior to the start of a performance.
** Please note: Tickets are not available via the Vue Box Office and is not included in Vue’s £4.99 ticket deal. Tickets available via Hull Box Office or on the door at the Hull Independent Cinema desk in the theatre lobby.