- This event has passed.
Hull Film Festival: PHOTOGRAPH
07/07/2019 @ 3:30 pm - 5:20 pm£6 – £8
At Vue Cinema Hull: BUY TICKETS
A struggling street photographer in Mumbai, pressured to marry by his grandmother, convinces a shy stranger to pose as his fiancée. The pair develop a connection that transforms them in ways they could not expect. In Photograph, the intimate rhythms of classic Indian cinema combine with a hint of the Bollywood common touch to tell a familiar story in a transporting and evocative way.
Rafi works hard to stay afloat as a photographer in Mumbai. Sharing his modest accommodation with other unmarried men, he sends his money home to pay off his father’s debts and dreams of a better life. One day he takes a picture of a young woman in front of the Gateway of India – and from this moment on he can think of nothing else. Miloni is a model student attending a school for auditors and is headed for university. Theirs are two irreconcilable worlds. When Rafi’s grandmother arrives, determined to marry off her grandson, Miloni agrees to masquerade as Rafi’s girlfriend. As the two begin to meet more and more often, Rafi shows Miloni, who has led a sheltered existence, unknown facets of their city. Ritesh Batra, who caused a sensation with his debut film The Lunchbox, returns to his hometown Mumbai for this bittersweet romance. In atmospheric images that exude a quiet charm, he almost casually depicts how social stratification divides Indian society and creates a sensitive portrait of everyday life in this megacity caught between tradition and progress.
Starring Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Sanya Malhotra, Sachin Khedekar
Awards and Reviews
“Feels like a throwback to the old-fashioned big screen romances of yore.” – Fionnuala Halligan, Screen International
“A satisfying, unswoony romance.” – Caryn James, Hollywood Reporter
PHOTOGRAPH is rated 15. Check the BBFC website for more information (may contain spoilers).
Tickets Terms and Conditions
• All films run without adverts and trailers and will be preceded by a short introduction from the festival team.
• The screening room opens 10-15 minutes before the programme begins, although the venue is open earlier.
• Hull Film Festival reserves the right to refuse admission to audience members arriving after the advertised start time.
• Tickets are unreserved seating – seat choice is first come, first served, upon doors opening, access to the VIP leather seating will be prioritised for Full Festival Passholders, which can be purchased here
• Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
• Advance tickets can only be purchased by phone or online, not in person.
• Tickets can be bought from the Hull Film Festival stand at Vue Cinema Hull 30 minutes prior to the start of a performance.
** Please note: Tickets are not available via the Vue Box Office and is not included in Vue’s £4.99 ticket deal. Tickets available via Hull Box Office or on the door at the Hull Independent Cinema desk in the theatre lobby.