- This event has passed.
Hull Film Festival: TEEN SPIRIT
July 5 @ 6:30 pm - 8:10 pm£6 – £8
At Vue Cinema Hull: BUY TICKETS
Violet (Elle Fanning) is a shy teenager who dreams of escaping her small town and pursuing her passion to sing. With the help of an unlikely mentor, she enters a local singing competition that will test her integrity, talent and ambition. Driven by a pop-fuelled soundtrack, Teen Spirit is a visceral and stylish spin on the Cinderella story.
The directorial debut of actor Max Minghella (The Handmaid’s Tale) tells the story of how an aspiring singer gathers the courage to come out of her shell with a bang. Seventeen-year-old Violet (Elle Fanning) lives with her mother (Agnieszka Grochowska) on a small farm on the Isle of Wight. Her days are spent doing chores, waiting tables, and attending secondary school, where she keeps to herself. But in her free time — spent alone in her room, in the fields with her beloved horse, or at an under-attended open-mic night — Violet surrenders to song. She’s a naturally gifted singer for whom pop stardom might not be mere fantasy. When Vlad (Zlatko Buric), a once-celebrated opera singer, hears Violet, he knows she’s something special and declares himself her manager and trainer, accompanying her as she tries out for a popular televised musical talent program called Teen Spirit. Vlad has his own demons, but if he and Violet can stick together as her star rises, they might just make each other better people.
Starring Elle Fanning, Agnieszka Grochowska, Archie Madekwe
“Max Minghella’s sweet and touching directing debut is both proudly clichéd and refreshingly different.” – Jeannette Catsoulis, New York Times
“Effectively updates that familiar star-is-born template for an arthouse-minded Instagram generation.” – Caroline Siede, AV Club
TEEN SPIRIT is rated 12A. Please see the BBFC website for more details (may contain spoilers).
Tickets Terms and Conditions
• All films run without adverts and trailers and will be preceded by a short introduction from the festival team.
• The screening room opens 10-15 minutes before the programme begins, although the venue is open earlier.
• Hull Film Festival reserves the right to refuse admission to audience members arriving after the advertised start time.
• Tickets are unreserved seating – seat choice is first come, first served, upon doors opening, access to the VIP leather seating will be prioritised for Full Festival Passholders, which can be purchased here
• Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
• Advance tickets can only be purchased by phone or online, not in person.
• Tickets can be bought from the Hull Film Festival stand at Vue Cinema Hull 30 minutes prior to the start of a performance.
** Please note: Tickets are not available via the Vue Box Office and is not included in Vue’s £4.99 ticket deal. Tickets available via Hull Box Office or on the door at the Hull Independent Cinema desk in the theatre lobby.